Is there any preparation involved before the procedure?
Prior to performing any vaginal treatments, you will have a comprehensive consultation with our physician.
The following conditions should be met before any treatment is undertaken.
- Normal PAP smear within the last year (you should have this at your GP or gynaecologist before coming to see us)
- No bladder /urine infection
- Not pregnant
- Not a heavy smoker
- No chronic cough
- Not a lifestyle with daily heavy lifting
- Not obese, the best is a body-mass index (BMI) < 30
- No menstrual bleeding at time of procedure
- If diabetic, this should be under good control
What can I expect?
The procedure takes about 60 minutes which includes the consultation, consent and the actual treatment.
Depending on your circumstances, we may need to refer you for other investigations prior to the actual treatment.
A second follow up treatment is required 4 to 6 weeks after the first treatment.
Note that having the treatment has no effect on subsequent pregnancy and delivery.
What are the possible side effects?
It is generally painless. Some patients may experience mild pain, burning or itching sensation during treatment at the entrance to the vagina and /or vestibular area, however it is generally well tolerated and usually does not persist beyond 24 hours. No continuing or lasting post-treatment pain has been reported.
There will be mild swelling and erythema of the treated area which should settle within 24 hours.
Is there any special after care advice?
No special after care or medication or special accessories is required.
The following activities should be avoided:
- Take care to prevent trauma to the treated area
- Abstain from sexual intercourse for two (2) to three (3) days after treatment
- Avoid heavy lifting and activities that increase pressure on the area for one month but otherwise resume usual activities
- Refrain from inserting tampons into the vagina for two (2) weeks
- Avoid activities that increase pressure on bladder and treatment area for one month such as heavy lifting
- Maintain voiding diary for two (2) weeks after treatment or as long as directed
- Prolonged periods of sustained exercise are not recommended for two (2) weeks
To find out more about these procedures, go to our Contact page to send cosmetic MD an email or call us to organise a consultation.